Wednesday, August 10, 2011

And 2,128 miles later...

...we've arrived at our condo in Florida. We actually got here a week ago, but getting settled in takes a bit of time. It's been almost a month since Katie and I walked out of our front door in Chicago, embarking on the year long journey that is internship. We spent some time in Texas, caught up with family and old friends, then repacked the car and headed east.

The time since we set foot in Bradenton, home of my internship congregation Trinity Lutheran, has been nothing short of amazing. We have experienced wonderful hospitality and begun relationships with some really amazing people. The warm welcome of the congregation, the numerous smiles, and the open display of generosity and love that has been shared with us has made out time of transition very smooth.

Internship is now a reality, no more waiting and wondering what this leg of the journey looks like. I now wake up in its embrace on a daily basis. The road ahead looks promising, filled with fruitful experiences and bountiful learning opportunities. I am excited about what lays in store. Though it's only one year in duration, its impact on my formation has the potential to be tremendous, and even now, only a little over a week into it, I feel blessed by the opportunity to be able to work with this community.

This blog is a new medium for me. It's a way for me to share bits and pieces of my internship experience. Though I intend it to be a medium where I can share sermons, I hope to add other thoughts and musing as they arise over the next year. I am not going to put a barrier around the potential of this place, we'll just see what happens.

A small word about the title needs to be added. I take the idea of the "Way" from the Greek word odos, which is literally translated as "the way." It is the title of the early Christian movement, and it plays a significant role in the heart of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus in Mark's Gospel. I have always been jazzed by its significance for the life of a Christian, and it has had a great impact of my journey so far.

So join me for the next leg of the journey, who knows what we'll discover along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment